Monday, October 4, 2010

4. That room always smells of chemicals.  The people that tell their opinions say it is distasteful, but I disagree.  It smells like creation and understanding.  Today we played jeopardy, I was the team captain of group number three.
     "Lilas," the teacher said, her voice as high-pitched as ever,"Pick someone."  By then all the seniors and juniors were taken, as was required; upperclassmen first.
     "Melissa."  I made my decision quick, though I wished to revoke it, call his name.  She sat beside me, a friendly voice from the dark the day before.
     "Pick Skylar," she told me when my turn came again.  I consented, she knows friends more than I do.  I look up at Deric, standing against the wall, his face revealing betrayal that Melissa did not say to pick him.  I believe he favors her, for they are always laughing and joking, flirting.
     "Deric next." I picked again, and he walked over, sitting next to Melissa in the empty green plastic seat.  She told me the next name, a girl named Emily.  I called it, she joined our group.  Then she picked him.
     "Pick John."
     "Okay."  By then our table was full, John sat at the corner, diagonal me.  The game began, rules unexplained.  When his turn came around the second time, he looked at me and mouthed,"Help me!"  I laughed quietly, smiling at John.
      The game was over, the bell rang and John and I were left in the classroom.  I stalled, unconsiously wanting to walk out beside him.
     "Your John, right?" I ask once he catches up.
     "Yea.  And you're the quiet junior girl."
     "Yes.  That is me."  I smile, happy in this moment.
     "What is your name, really?"
     "Lilas.  But I answer to Lilly too, people tend to call me that, I'm not sure why."

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I really like this, it makes the reader think, good stuff, eloquent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is lovely.

    lovelylovelylovely

    ReplyDelete